What housewife does not like ornamental plants? And who would refuse to decorate their garden plot with interesting, rare and, most importantly, beautiful flowers? In the world there are thousands of plant species that exude exceptional flavors and create a real palette of colors. Allium decorative onion is an excellent, absolutely not whimsical plant that beautify any area. Planting and care in the open field is not difficult. The flower ball named allium will improve landscape design in all weather conditions from spring to autumn.
Pay attention to such a flower as allium. It is a kind of decorative onion, which has a spherical violet inflorescence. The flowers themselves emit a smell similar to onions, but more pleasant. The spherical shape is the business card of Allium, the photo of which can be easily found on the Internet.
In the meantime, look at the allium decorative onion photo illustrating the beauty and nobility of this flower:
Cultivation of allium: planting and care in the open field
As is usually the case, there are three ways of breeding and growing allium as an ornamental garden crop in open ground.
- Planting Allium seeds - planted in the ground in early spring or autumn. The most important thing for a flower is sunshine. The place where the seed is planted should be well lit. It is important to know that allium bulbs will start to give flower after 3-7 years, when they become large and capable of flowering. Some species may ascend after autumn and winter;
- Vegetative method. If the mother bulb was planted, it will give off shoots (babies) in the third year of growth. A healthy flower gives from 2 to 3 babies. The optimal time for vegetative development is autumn, when the plant should be transplanted. It is important to note that planting bulbs is required at a considerable distance from each other. Thus, Allium onion will be perfectly and tastefully located throughout the garden, decorating it with its beauty;
- Bulb reproduction. Advanced method, because Special growth promoters are used. Buds are cut, which are subsequently treated with stimulants. A very convenient way to grow an exact copy of the maternal alim.
Decorators advise planting an Allium flower with peonies and poppies that bloom at about the same time. It is noteworthy that such a neighborhood will benefit the bulb - the neighbors will hide dried and dying leaves.
Planting and caring for allium in the open field does not require special practical skills. It is necessary to properly observe the following actions for the care of a plant, because only this way you can grow a healthy and beautiful plant:
- Always plant the plant in open areas. Under a tree or canopy, the plant will not bloom and will die;
- Wet soil will negatively affect plant growth and will contribute to its extinction;
- Allium does not need frequent watering. It should be watered only in cases where it is clear that the plant and the soil are dry;
- After all the leaves have dried, the bulb should be dug and planted in the fall. All this is for one reason - the climatic conditions of Central Asia (where the plant itself comes from), which are characterized by dryness and rare torrential rains;
- Dug out bulbs are best kept in dry rooms, at optimum room temperature and well ventilated;
- During planting Allium should be aware that the size of the hole should be equal to three onions in depth;
- In order for allium to grow well it needs to be fed from spring with special fertilizers with a high nitrogen content.
What is the value in decorating the garden and house plot? (with photo)
After reading the information about the landing and care of Alium, you should find out what is remarkable about this plant. First of all, of course, with its spherical shapes. These plants will look great alone and attract the views of guests or small bushes that also look great. What is the value of decorated and adjoining the site and the adjacent garden - you can look at the photo of Allium, located in different group plantings:
Above we talked about planting and caring in the open field of allium. And now the story will go about where it is best to plant the bulb, why and with what plants the flower will look best.
Extraordinarily beautiful ball will look among the roses. Imagine in the center of a purple or purple ball, around which there are scarlet, pink or white roses. The leaves and thorns of roses only emphasize the uniqueness of such a composition.
Another great composition is with peonies. Spherical paradise, which will give an unforgettable aroma and natural beauty of nature in every home and on any site, lawn.
The most important feature is, of course, unpretentiousness. You do not need to care for the plant, water it abundantly and fertilize it. This flower is perfect for novice gardeners, as a simulator and a beautiful garden equipment. In addition, the decorative Allium bow looks great in bouquets. His only problem is the smell of onions or young garlic. This is not the most pleasant smell, but the beauty is worth a little to suffer.
What allium grow: gladiator, sativum, karatavsky and others (with photo)
There are many types of this amazing bulb. Before you decide on which allium ornamental onions to grow on your site, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with several varieties that are accompanied by a photo. Among the famous and popular varieties consider the following:
- The Allium Gladiator is a spring onion that reaches inconceivable proportions! Height can reach one and a half meters, and the diameter of the ball - 25, see Blossoms from two to three weeks. Flowering time falls on the beginning of summer. Looks great in solitude, and a few pieces in the form of a bush. Seeds of this plant can be purchased at any flower shop;
- Allium sativum is nothing but garlic. Grown for medical purposes and economic. Peduncle begins to grow in spring. In height can reach 1 m. Leaves are not wide, reach 1 cm, linear. It has exceptional healing properties. Helps to clear the gastrointestinal tract, relieves spasms in the stomachs. And, of course, used in cooking. Garlic is an excellent seasoning for many meat dishes, salads, first courses. And due to its healing properties, it can be safely eaten during a cold;
- Allium karatavsky - 30 cm bulb, blooming in late May for 3 weeks. The multiplication feature of the allium of this species is that it begins to bloom through 2 of the year, in the case of growing the plant with seeds. The seeds themselves are planted mainly in spring or autumn. The flower itself is small, the inflorescences in diameter reach up to 12, see. The transplant features — should be replanted at least once in 2 of the year. It is best to replant karatavsky every year. After flowering should remove all the inflorescences. Themselves inflorescences pink and purple hues. The plant is well going through the winter and cold weather, does not require special facilities for wintering;
- Allium giantteum, also known as gigantic, like the gladiator, reaches a height of 150 cm. However, the diameter of the balls of inflorescences is smaller - they reach sizes up to 10 cm in diameter. Caring for this variety is no different from general care - unsaturated soil, good access to light, rare watering and fertilizing. Perfect for decorating the garden of a country house. Looks beautiful in the amount of five pieces;
- Allium Molly - is a low bulb, which reaches a height of no more than 50 cm. Often the height of a molly reaches 25-30 cm. Inflorescences are flat and spherical. The flowers are bright yellow. The flowering period falls on May-June. The care is the same as described in general terms above;
- Allium Roseum is so named because of its particular color. Also light-requiring, like all fellows. Low, the stem in height reaches 30, see. The inflorescences are also small, in diameter there are no more than 8, see. An interesting and unique lilac-pink color will become a real asset for landscape design. This variety is extremely hard to bear the winter, so they need to be transplanted into the pulp to protect from loss.
What else you need to know about the care of flowers?
Once a year, mostly in spring, it is necessary to loosen the area where the bulbs are planted, clean from debris and mold. After the leaves have grown in the spring, the plant must be fertilized. In order to improve wintering, in order for the plant to feed and survive, during the budding period it is necessary to fertilize with special phosphorus-potassium fertilizers. In the spring, they feed with special mineral fertilizers. In the summer heat the plant needs liquid fertilizer. This is all that still needs to know the flower grower for the care of allium flowers in the garden and on the garden.
How can you dilute the bulbs of Alium in your garden?
For this plant, you can pick up many neighbors. For example, in the garden will look great bushes of red roses and roseum. This combination will reveal all the tenderness of the colors that they possess. The specific aroma will only emphasize the beauty of such an exposure. To decide how to dilute allium bulbs when planting decorative plantings in their garden, everyone decides for himself. But it is necessary to take into account the height of the plants and the periods of their flowering.
Poppy, too, is perfect in order to make the garden of alliums interesting and beautiful. Red poppy blossoms will harmonize perfectly with any variety of bulbs.